Can I take a break from paying into my plan?

You can take a break from paying into any pension, savings and unit linked protection plans once your plan has a value.

You have 2 options

  1. Stop your payments indefinitely: this is referred to as Paid Up Policy or PUP
  2. Stop your payments for a specific amount of time. This is referred to as a Payment Holiday or Skip

Some things you need to know:

  • If we receive your request on or after your usual direct debit date your payments will be put on hold from the following month.
  • If your plan is a unit linked protection plan, please contact your adviser or customer service on 01 704 10 10 before taking a break in your payments.
  • Please give at least two weeks’ notice before your direct debit is due. For pension plans please try to give 30 days’ notice.
  • Is the plan assigned or in trust we will need permission from the assignees/trustees to do this.

If your plan is in your name only you can ring us with this request.  If your plan is in joint names you can send your request in writing by:

  • Post, to Irish Life, Lower Abbey Street, Dublin 1.
  • Scan and email it to
  • If you have a smart phone you can take a clear picture of the signed request and email it to
  • Fax it to 01 242 2931.

Need more information? – contact us here

Was this article helpful?
6 out of 8 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request


Please sign in to leave a comment.